Dinner Rolls


I recently found this recipe and couldn't wait to try it out! I have really been enjoying making yummy foods from scratch! The taste of a little bit of time mixed with effort has been delicious!

To begin making the dinner rolls, first add 1/2 C. milk to 1/4 C. of water, and add 2T. of butter. Warm these ingredients on the stove top (Do not boil! I just watched the butter chunks melt to know when the liquids were warm enough!)

While the milk, butter and water are warming, mix 3/4 C. flour, 1/2t. salt, 2T. sugar and an envelope of rapid rise yeast.
Add wet mix to the flour mix and beat for 2 minutes in your mixer.
Add 1/4 C. flour and beat on high for 2 more minutes.
Slowly, add 1C. of flour... I did this step 1/4 C. at a time!

Next, the dough needs to be kneaded! Generously flour your work surface, and knead for 8-10 minutes. *If you have never kneaded dough before, it is very simple! Smush the dough with the heels of your hands, pressing the dough away from your body. Then spin the dough 45 degrees and knead again!
Knead the dough for about 8-10 minutes.

After kneading, the dough needs to rest for 10 minutes. I made my dough into a ball, and then I laid a damp paper towel over the dough while it rested.
Then I cut the dough into 12 even pieces.

I should have taken more time to shape the dough into balls... next time!
The 12 dinner rolls need to be placed into a well greased round baking pan.
(I placed 9 rolls around the edges and three in the center!)
The dinner rolls now need to rise.
I covered my pan with aluminum foil and set the pan on our stove top with the burner on the lowest setting. The rolls need to rise for 30 minutes.
After the rolls have had half an hour to rise (the warmth from the burner really helps!), brush the tops with a little bit of melted butter and gently sprinkle with salt!

Bake the rolls for 20 minutes at 375*. Mmm, these rolls were delicious- even a little bit sweet!
I think that the next time that I make these rolls, that I will multiply the quantity. I am thinking that I will not allow the dough to rise, I will just roll into balls, after the dough has rested, and then freeze the dough for individual rolls for a later date. I'll keep you posted!

Recipe Recap:
2-2 1/4 C. all purpose flour
1 envelope yeast
2T. sugar
1/2t. salt
1/2 C. milk
1/4 C. water
2T. butter

No comments:

Post a Comment